Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Stolen Moments

What a wonderful day today! My cell phone tells me it's 70 degrees outside while the announcer on the radio on my way to work this morning said it's supposed to average in the 40's this time of year. Now I know this is probably climate change but it's very difficult to be upset with it on an early, so welcome, spring-like day.

Its lunch time now and after running some errands, I stopped by a nearby green area. What I mean by that is, it's just a field of grass with a tiny parking lot and small playground that's devoid of any children today. I come here sometimes just to get some alone time in nature. It's just a small little place and I'm only here for a brief amount of time but it's so blissful to me. Especially on a day like this, when I can roll the windows down, recline the seat all the way back, and just lay there with my eyes closed and allow my thoughts to flit through my mind.

I think I'm an Ambivert these days, an extroverted introvert. I love to socialize, but downtime, alone time, is so very necessary. It's the time when I don't have any obligations or things that I am trying to accomplish. Instead I'm just still. Physically I become more still, and it allows a space where the thoughts flowing through my mind can be noticed. It's these thoughts that help me understand myself... my motives, my inclinations, my feelings, concerns and aspirations.

These moments are almost always stolen. I steal them from time as a parent, from time as an employee, from time as a friend, a daughter, all the roles I endeavor to fulfill. But in reality, there is no greater role for me to pay attention to then the role in which I am in service to my own self. If I don't take care of my own emotional, mental, physical states, then who will? And how will I have enough to give anyone else?

And as usual, it's time to get back to the day's work... for there are never enough stolen moments from my perspective. But, what I do get, always has to make do.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm, stolen moments are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the rest of your day continue to be wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up Jennie, you riot you. :P

    ReplyDelete