Friday, July 20, 2018

Fat-Adapted

Learning to cook keto style is not too hard, as long as you know a few tricks. There's a bratt with very little sugar: Johnsonville Beer Bratts. There's a marinara with less sugar, Rao's Homemade Marinara. You can use zucchini instead of noodles, flat or spiraled. Shrimp is carb free! Dry cooking wines are great additions to sauces, just make sure you find a brand with little to no carbs. It's possible! Meijer white cooking wine qualifies. Alfredo sauces can be made with cream cheese, heavy whipping cream and a little shredded parmesan. (I also add that white wine!) "Chips" can be made from baked parmesan piles, or... zucchini discs (which I have the recipe for but having had the chance yet to make). My point is... food on keto is not lacking. In fact, it's delicious! One of my favorite breakfasts, pre-keto, turns out to be a perfect keto breakfast: fried eggs and half a mashed avodaco, mixed up with a little Bragg's Sprinkle and sea salt. mmmmm I made my first lasagna, my first cheesecake, my first pecan desserts, all with keto recipes and I am never lacking for yummy things to eat. The thing is... I'm less and less hungry, so I don't get triggered to go raid the pantry as much. Hours go by and I don't even think about food. I'm SATISFIED. I love this WOE (way of eating). It was so worth the temporary symptoms from my body begrudgingly switching over from carb-adapted to fat-adapted energy production. That's not a fun week or two, but you get through it. You continue onward. And out on this side of being fat-adapted, this WOE rocks! Yummy food, whole food, not feeling starved, easily and consistently dropping weight (I am not even working out yet!), allergies disappeared, acne cleared up quite a lot, don't feel drained after meals, can stay full feeling for hours and hours and hours... and did I mention yummy food??? I feel pretty darn good. And I love knowing that lowering the inflammation in my body HAS to be helping my gut health. My bowels move better. Though I still assist them some, I had been trying that pre-keto and not having consistent success. Now I have consistent and easier success. My lactose intolerance seems GONE (I don't have any low fat milk products -think lactose/dairy sugars- anymore. I've pulled my belt in a notch. The scales says I'm down 10 lbs in nearly 6 weeks, a nice slow but consistent weight loss that should continue. And I just don't have that nagging feeling of, "gawd, I hate dieting!" I can seriously see myself eating this way for the rest of my life, for the most part. I say "for the most part" because I have potatoes and tomatoes that will be harvested soon, and year after year. I won't let them go to waste. They will get canned, pickled and preserved. Then I can crack one open and eat a sparingly. In the future, I intend on focusing my gardening on things that are more keto friendly. I love being fat-adapted! Whowouldathunkit!

Edit: Here's the typical weight loss pattern of Keto...


7 comments:

  1. Your excitement and energy is contagious! Congratulations on this!! How's your daughter doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She struggles more with the psychology of it, you know... really missing mac-n-cheese, for instance. I had given it up long ago, so no struggle for me there. She has a larger adjustment in that way. She's also only 18, so she has the additional adjustment of maturing her dietary perspectives. She's never committed so deeply to a diet before, and I'm super proud of her for doing so. She's still hovering at about 20 lbs lost, but there's a period from about week 2 through week 6 where we are right now that is a seeming "stall zone". It's where your body is going through healing organ by organ and things seem to just bounce around a bit at the same weight for a while. Mine finally started dropping again a few days ago. She's still bouncing. She asked for help in identifying what she can do better, which is very mature of her (so proud!). I saw a couple things she could adjust and she's working on that. I think she will get into that post 6 weeks "whoosh" as they call it, soon. She says she won't give up unless she's still stuck by Thanksgiving. There's little chance of that if she is really still trying. She will see the difference kick in soon. :)

      Delete
    2. I updated the post to include a graph of the typical keto weight loss pattern, which so far coincides with our experiences.

      Delete
  2. this is incredible! she seems to be growing and stretching by leaps and bounds. the stalling weight is temporary. she has the great fortune to have a wonderful role model. i cant wait to read future updates, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was telling my employee friend about you. She is obese and her doctor suggested keto. She is unhappy with the food options but I told her about your zucchini noodle alfredo and she asked me to ask you for your favorite recipes. Do you mind sharing some with me? If not...My email is danaplawson@gmail.com Thanks chickadee!! Have a great day!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will share! I had just typed up a whole list for another friend of mine who asked for the same. I'll forward it on. And if she wants to join some Facebook groups that can help her through this, I can suggest a couple, too. I'll email you.

      Delete