Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Weight Loss Journey

The scale is finally being nice to me.  Even when I feel like I've splurged the day before, it somehow, sometimes, still reports progress in the desired direction (but not usually haha).  Yesterday included a party, and at said party I drank beer.  Beer is made out of hops, aka: grain.  Grain is something I am majorly avoiding, by necessity.  My body reacts in various negative immune responses to grains, lentils, & beans.  It is probably the grains, more than any other single factor, that has been killing my metabolism (more so than age alone) and keeping me fat for so many years.  Although, I must add that beer, a fermented product, is far less offending and shows a different set of symptoms than grains in general.  Beer can sometimes be helpful to off-set the other symptoms of having eaten grains (I attribute it to the fermentation process).  But still, beer is calories, and beer results in bloat, both not good for losing weight.  But since November 30th, 2015, I have been serious about a life-style change that includes much stricter measures on offending foods and working out frequently (3-4 days/wk).

This past week or so, if I didn't know any better, I would say that my metabolism seems to have kicked it up a gear.  I am so hungry!  And I'm allowing myself to eat more so that my body doesn't drop into starvation mode.  And, I'm losing more weight, like more easily, it seems.  Finally!  :)  You see, I should not have stepped on the scale this morning and dropped weight after consuming several beers yesterday evening.  And, I broke down and ate 2 reverse-chocolate chip cookies (the dreaded wheat).  All I can say to this, is.... sometimes the body needs to be kept guessing.  Too much routine is killer as the body "learns" and adjusts its functions to use as little energy as possible to manage functions.  Overall, I'm doing what's better for it and a little splurge here and there, or a day having over-eaten some, just serves to keep the body guessing.  I don't know, it's just a theory of mine.  But whatever's really happening, it's happening well apparently. And, I'm getting so excited that I will soon be announcing my first mini-goal being reached, weight-wise.  But not until then. ;)


2 comments:

  1. Way to go Theresa! Such balance in your life, your creation-thank you so much for sharing! I just love following your world, thoughts <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dana! It feels like it's been both the slowest and the easiest weightloss journey so far this time. I hope that equates to *lasting* life-style change.

    ReplyDelete